See “Assessing the Impact of Citizens United: What Does it Mean for My Corporation?” by McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP.
The Supreme Court’s holding in Citizens United v. FEC, 558 U.S. 310 (2010) leads to the following conclusions:
- Corporations may now finance independent federal political advertising and other political contributions
- Corporations and individuals may now finance tax-exempt groups to advocate in federal elections
- Federal laws governing candidate contributions remain unchanged
- Disclosure and disclaimer requirements remain unchanged
- Groups of corporations now have the same rights as individuals